Monday 3 November 2014

Bones!! I Guess We Need Them

A few months back if you remember I told you a breif bit about my hip being crap and causing a lot of pain. I mad an MRI scan with Dye to try and figure out what was wrong following a steroid injection in theatre that didnt work. The scan showed that I had A labral tear that needed fixing. My current consultant was in Musgrove because of living in Somerset when I was refered there. They told me that they only do open surgery there. As i was now a resident of Cornwall they said they would transfer my care to a Consultant in St Austell because he can do the surgery via key whole. Perfect. Figured all i would need was a little hole being stitch up and on I go.

I had a consultation with him to which he asked me what it was I knew about me him to which i told him what I just told you. But he told me to wait there because it wasmmore complex than that. Wait what I never got told this. Why is this new to me!? He told me a breif outline about my hips not being thw right way. He thought at the time it was my sockets that was backwards so he done an xray on the day which showed my femurs sitting inside my pelvis which in itself isnt right. As these results werebt good he requested an urgent CT scan as noone seems to have wanted one of them yet.

Inwas supposed to get these result 5 weeks ago but he rang to cancel because he didnt have all the results back.

I finally got the appointment to go today at 0940.

I took my other half with me as its only fair that she knew what was going on and i figured that the consultant would be able to explain it easier than me.

So clinic. We sat down and to be honest i was shitting myself. I was mega scared but didnt show it because i didnt want to worry my other half.

He pulled up my CT scans (which might i add was bloody amazing) and showed us the results. Firstly he apologised because he said it was more severe than what he first thought and told me. So whereas we thought i just had the tear and high sittong femurs it turns out ive got:

A lip of overgrown bone at the back of the ball head of my femur which is causing the ball to catch on the socket which in turn is causing my hip to pop out of place multiple times a day.

I next got told that my ball itself is facing the wrong way by 15degrees which is why i cant put my legs into certain positions and why when i sit certain ways my right leg is shorter than my right because as its rotating its rotating the wrong way.

As all this was supposed to be found when i was a child and fixed it has now caused severe artheritis in my hip because of all the damage.

The consultant has stated he has never seen this extent of damage and mis growth in someone of my age. Great.

I will need surgery i cant be like this.

He said he will focus on my right him first as it is causing the most pain and once the right side has healed he will move onto my left hip.

So, the surgery, the first stage we are trying under spinal block a key hole procedure to which he will scrap away the lip of overgrown bone and hopefully get a better picture of the artheritis and try and sort it out abit. If this doesnt really do much it then leads us to stage 2 of the surgery. This is even more major surgery than before and i will need a general to sedate me. During this procedure he will break my femur in half and will take the top half of the femur out, rotate it by hand to the position it should b and then re put it back into the socket and reattach everything. The 3rd stage in many many ears to come is total hip replacement which the artheritis will cause.
Like i say once the right side is done i will then need all of this on my left.

What pisses me off the most is the fact that not only was this ignored throughout my whole childhood but for the last 2 years ive been told constantly that the pain is psychological and that theres actually not anything wrong. As a result of their neglegence i am now suffering the consequences and getting chronic pain and needing major surgery twice over.

I dont understand how our lives can be so miss treated through the hands of people we are supposed to trust.

Its shocking and shouldnt be allowed.

TTFN

XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment