Friday 21 November 2014

My Last Hope

Since being told in January that there was nothing left for me, nothing left trestment wise to help my asthma i was preparing for each year that went by for ny life to get worse. My lungs to get worse. Thankfully ive been given a lifeline. I change my local consultant when i move to Cornwall and they have done tests that show i have PID which is primary immune deficiency. As i have this, they have said this is the reason to which i am getting around 15 infections there abouts a year which is not only causing my asthma to flare but also my lung function to permenantly be done and ive now built up huge amounts of irreversable scar tissue in and around my lungs. It suck. The worst thing about it all is this could have been solved years ago. I first had this picked uo 4 years ago but was told there was no treatment when in fact therevwas and there still is. Im just so glad I moved to Cornwall as it now means ive been given hope. So my new treatment IgG transfusion. Its pretty technical stuff and again as I said before, without wonderful blood donors, my life wouldnt be able to have this. Each 20ml of my treatment is a few thousands worth of donors bloods and each week I will be recieving 60ml and that is for the next year alone. If the treatment shows improvement I will be staying on this untill they find an alternative. This could be life. For my first ever treatment, me and my wife watched the nurses set everything up and put the needle in my belly. Next week though its our turn. We will be taking a hands on aproach so that the quicker we learn how to set up the pumps and do everything in a safe manor, the quicker I wont have to keep coming to derriford hospital. Each infusion takes an hour to go through. I can only have a maximum of 20mls through each pump at a time into that specific area of my tummy to prevent damage. Yes it take a long time to go through but once its running, youre free to do what you like, well withing reason. On this occasion, I did have a reaction to the blood product but this was to be expected as it was a foreign body being placed into the skin surface of my belly. Today it is still pretty red, sore and bruised but itll settle. Im just praying this is the miracle treatment that could give me some form of life back. Im not banking on my life to be exactly the same as 5 years ago as thats impossible, I have far to much damage, but even if im semi there I will be impressed. Here is a picture of my treatment
TTFN XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment